Allenpopulation 92,020 est
Allen is a growing family-oriented community of approximately 85,000 residents located 24 miles north of Dallas in Collin County. It is far enough from Dallas to provide a relaxed, small-town environment, yet close enough to take advantage of activities and services in the "big city".
A wide variety of housing styles and price ranges are available in this Collin County town. The city of Allen is known for its pro-business climate and ability to promote growth while making the community a vibrant place to live. The town has planned well for growth, utilizing a Master Land Use Plan that includes expanding water storage capacity and major thoroughfares. A recently completed multi-purpose arena, the 7,500 seat Allen Event Center, is home to the Central Hockey League's Allen Americans and the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League.
ALLEN RANKS NATIONALLY AND LOCALLY AS A PREMIERE COMMUNITY
- 2nd Best City for First-Time Homebuyers – WalletHub, 2014
- 13th Safest City in America – CQ Press, 2015
- “Top 10 Dallas Suburbs” – D Magazine, 2014
- "#2 in Top 10 Cities for Families" – Apartment List, 2014
- "#5 in Best Towns for Families" – Family Circle, 2014
- "#3 in Best Places for Young Families in Texas" – NerdWallet, 2014
- "#4 in Best Places to Find a Job in America" – CNN Money Magazine, 2014
- "#2 in Best Places for Young Families in Texas" – NerdWallet, 2013
- "Top 10 Dallas Suburbs" – D Magazine, 2012
- "Top 20 Best Places to Live in America" – CNN Money Magazine, 2012
- "Top 10 Safest Places to Live in the US” – Congressional Quarterly/FBI
Allen, Texas is “A big town that is still a small community that is great for families, young professionals, and older people,” says Mayor of Allen, Stephen Terrell. “One of the neatest things about Allen is that it has a little bit of everything.” Named one of the country’s 10 Best Towns for Families and Best Cities for Young Families, among others, Allen is a great place to live and work for people in all stages of life.
WHAT MAKES ALLEN UNIQUE?
Although Allen is a city with a population of 84,246 (2010 census), “We retain a small community and families are very involved. The people in Allen are truly my favorite thing about living here because they are so community minded,” says Terrell. Allen is also known for being a recycling city, and “Here in Allen, 68 pounds of material is recycled per household, per year and we have numerous zero waste programs that encourage a greener way of life,” notes Terrell.
Nationally recognized, Allen has an award winning school system that is serviced by three independent school districts. The three include Allen ISD, Lovejoy ISD, and Plano ISD. “The school districts are a great example of the variation Allen has. The small school feel or the large school atmosphere, but they all have tremendous academics,” says Terrell. “There are also options in the Career Technology Center at Allen High School.
At AHS, there is also a culinary school, and multiple extracurricular activities including sports and music. The smaller high schools also offer a variety of programs from art to sports, and it is great to see the kids and community get involved,” explains Terrell.